• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

I know if no church in my town that has prayer meetings or whatever you call it save for national day of prayer. No wonder we are sinking. It saddens me. I believe that if we prayer together, there would be such power to reverse our nation's sure destruction. I guess pastors, elders and deacons are to busy to lead the charge. My friend and I started prayer meetings weekly for women to pray for all our kids and teachers. After three years there were only three of us. We started as three and that's all there was. I'm so sad I can barely keep quiet. I feel like screaming " lazy pastors". Just can't understand it. I believe we will quickly "ascend" to a deeper place as persecution and financial debt causes churches to abandon their buildings and go underground. That will be a better day!!

David Wilkerson Today
A Ministry of World Challenge

SATURDAY, APRIL 19, 2014

WHEN IN TROUBLE, PRAY!
by Jim Cymbala

Have you ever noticed that Jesus launched the Christian church, not while
someone was preaching, but while people were praying? In the first two chapters
of Acts, the disciples were doing nothing but waiting on God. As they were just
sitting there . . . worshiping, communing with God, letting Him shape them and
cleanse their spirits and do those heart operations that only the Holy Spirit
can do . . . the church was born. The Holy Spirit was poured out.

What does it say about our churches today that God birthed the church in a
prayer meeting, and prayer meetings today are almost extinct?

Am I the only one who gets embarrassed when religious leaders in America talk
about having prayer in public schools? We don’t have even that much prayer in
many churches! Out of humility, you would think we would keep quiet on that
particular subject until we practice what we preach in our own congregations

I am sure that the Roman emperors didn’t have prayer to God in their schools.
But then, the early Christians did not seem to care what Caligula or Claudius or
Nero did. How could any emperor stop God? How, in fact, could the demons of hell
make headway when God’s people prayed and called upon His name? Impossible!

In the New Testament we don’t see Peter or John wringing their hands and
saying, “Oh, what are we going to do? Caligula is bisexual . . . he wants to
appoint his horse to the Roman Senate . . . what a terrible model of
leadership! How are we going to respond to this outrage?”

Let’s not play games or divert attention away from the weak prayer life of
our own churches. In Acts 4, when the apostles were unjustly arrested,
imprisoned, and threatened, they didn’t call for a protest; they didn’t
reach for some political leverage. Instead, they headed to a prayer meeting.
Soon the place was vibrating with the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 4:23-31).

The apostles had this instinct: When in trouble, pray. When intimidated, pray.
When challenged, pray. When persecuted, pray!
  • Julie Daube, Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#2 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

Good word! Great word. But let us not grow weary in well doing...even if only 3 there is...the fourth. "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." Be encouraged, Candice. even with a seeming minority there is a majority. 

#3 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Candice, do you live in a small town somewhat away from other places?

Small town churches tend not to offer much beyond weekend services. Mostly because of the financial resources they have and what they perceive are the community needs.

If you do live in a small town and the church is like this, then do they know what the community wants from them? Is the community willing to help the church offer more?

If you live in a more populated area, than I would think there would be more churches that offer more options to which you seek.

I live in a standard, run of the norm suburb. Nothing special about it and not close to any major cities worth driving to. However, I have many churches in my community to choose from. I really do mean alot of churches. However, I find that almost all of them only do basic Sunday services and maybe a little schooling for the kids. Even the churches with the word ‘ community ‘ in their names don’t seem to really offer much. However, I have found a new church recently that does offer alot of what I am looking for through out the week, including classes, groups, prayer schedules, and more. It’s a needle in a haystack find, but found.

I think it’s partly a matter of the pastors not know what their community really wants because who ever tells them of community needs and wants? I think it’s also partly a matter of people lack of not wanting to give to help the church offer more needs and wants. I also think it’s a matter of finding a church where you feel comfortable with or at least, a group of believers you feel comfortable with.