CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Let’s be honest here. Brutally self honest for a minute. What are we, as individual followers and  believers, doing to spread the Gospel as we are taught to? Anything? Ever? Maybe yes, but only among others who already believe and follow?

When was the last time we took time to talk about the Gospel to someone who does don’t believe or follow? ( Talk to and with, not argue in disagreement or judgment )

** This post is not intended to be critical of others or to pass judgment upon others so lets not use this post to do such not nice things.. I only wrote it to get people to stop and think as truthfully as possible. Nothing more.

*** I’ll confess. I can’t remember the sat time I spoke with a non-believer / follower about the Gospel. I really can’t. I sue to long time back, but I don’t do it anymore. Don’t know why but know I should be having these talks. Caution and care as I don’t want some emotionally unstable person shooting me or something, but sharing the Gospel never the less. Hmm....

• radar likes this

#2 Speilb

Speilb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:One of my great driving passions is that I might know Christ! I love His Holiness and desire to try it on in my life. I love His Greatness and Power and therefore I also am learning to love my weakness, smallness, and need. I love His Glory and desire that he should gift me with the experience he gave to Isaiah in the 6th chapter. I believe that God Himself is the centerpiece of a True Biblical Faith and not man. I despise the things of man and I despise my own flesh. I see that Jesus made no attempt to save the sinner's flesh, but instead gave us the opportunity to crucify it. I see worldly people as Nehemiah saw Jerusalem with its walls (created for the Honor and Glory of God but in desperate need of being re-made) and so I love God's work of restoring. I am broken over the condition of the world and desire that God uses me as Nehemiah (whose name means "The Lord Comforts") to comfort me by using me to rebuild and reestablish those in ruins.
    I love seeing God in things like genetics, nature, and in the created order of things. I love my family and have a wonderful wife and two kids.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Burning Heart Christian Fellowship

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

I know this isn't a discussion question but I really wanted to post so I will. 

I would like to propose and experiment.  It has worked for me.  To be honest, right now I am not seeing a lot of conversions and not coming into contact with worldly people as much (but I am seeing transformed lives and planting seeds with non-Christians) (I also can admit that I haven't been as faithful to the below as I should be - so this is a great reminder to me).  To give some validation of the proposed experiment I have seen it work where I was seeing people weekly commit their lives to Christ.  Also I found out that the below is actually controversial.     

The simple structure/experiment that I have found useful is; "don't try to share the Gospel with anyone".  I'm serious.  Pray for the lost a lot.  Ask God to participate in His desire that people should come to a saving knowledge of Jesus.  Be ready to give an answer.  Pray continually (this also means listen continually for the Holy Spirit).   Pray that when opportunities come that God would highlight them to your heart.  Then feel no pressure to talk to people about Jesus unless the Holy Spirit tells you (i.e. gives you a specific word to speak or direction to go in the conversation).  If your more on the introverted side (like I am) work might need to be done on how to strike up conversations but don't try to strike up conversations about Christ (let them naturally go to Jesus).  Then see what happens.  My hypothesis is that you will end up seeing opportunities to share. 

Also on a side note.  I think it is helpful to have a genuine interest in people's world view, not in a judgmental sense be a real interest.  From there they often can see the inconsistencies without you having to point them out.  People often don't verbalize their world-view and that is why they can hold to such illogical ones. 

I am not a great salesman.  I might be good enough to get someone to repeat a prayer, but definitely not good enough to convince someone to give their life unreservedly to Jesus or to convince people to take their instrument of suffering and death and follow Christ with their all.  The only way I am going to lead someone to that place is if the Holy Spirit does the real work.  Therefore I need to listen and I need to speak as the Spirit leads.  If you can sell people on Christ someone else can sell them on falsehood.  If the Holy Spirit does a supernatural work, then you have something. 

-----------

One other easy experiment that I believe will validate some of the above.  Think of people you know who are mature (live out a deep faith) and passionate about Jesus and who came to Him later in life.   If you know their Testimony then great; if not ask them (or at least get enough to have a good sample size).  Now go through your list and next to every name mark if they were saved through what could be attributed to persuasion or through an outward act of the Holy Spirit.  I think you will find a good number that were impacted when someone spoke to them words that could not have originated in that person because they spoke to a situation that they didn't know about.  I have often heard things like "I asked God one morning ..... and then this person came up to me and said I just felt like God told me to say ..... and it was the answer to the question I had just asked and I knew that it had to be God answering me and I knew He was real and he cared about me".  Others say, "I prayed God if you want me to go to church send someone to invite me and that same week ___ called...", or "I heard the sermon and it was exactly what I had been wrestling with".  Food for thought eh?

If anyone tries it I would be interested to hear how your experiments turn out for my "research". 

• chipped china, radar, CHRISTOPHER310 and 1 other like this

#3 DonnaA

DonnaA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Bible study with commentaries by Tozer, Francis Chan, Ravi Zacharias, Peterson, Idleman, C.S. Lewis, Yancey and others who challenge me in my walk with God ....
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

I have numerous family/friends on FB that are not believers ... I witness the "good news" to them every single day.

I'm also active among our youth, many who have doubts/questions ... many who are quite the challenge ... I'm blessed to be able to disciple a few.

I have taught my children that the "mission field" is often in your own back yard ... we pray every morning, before they walk out the door, that we will be Ambassadors for His name and represent Him well that day.

I'm not tooting my own horn ... I could not do any of this without the Lord's precious Spirit leading me.

• chipped china, radar and CHRISTOPHER310 like this

Now we have this treasure in clay jars, so that this extraordinary power may be from God and not from us. 

We are pressured in every way but not crushed; we are perplexed but not in despair; 

we are persecuted but not abandoned; we are struck down but not destroyed.

~2 Corinthians 4:7-9~

#4 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

The power of prayer is often underestimated. It can do what no other effort can. I learned long ago that I am not a harvester, I am a sower. I plant and then pray for the correct elements to come together so that the one who is appointed to reap (whoever that might be) will have a ripe and ready crop. I rarely get to witness this, and I am sure it is rewarding, but I am faithful to my part, trusting the Holy Spirit is faithful to His so I find joy in that.

Discovering our individual part in the Body and performing it at our best should be our goal. If we believe we must be all do all we risk exhausting ourselves spiritually and are left doomed to fall to self defeat because we see ourselves as failures. "I haven't brought a single soul to Christ."

If you are one who is good at apologetics, like, for example, Ray Comfort, you will definitely reap souls. I’ve always admired those who have that gift and calling. But there is no condemnation for those who, in the quiet, lift up the unknown souls he and those like him will speak to, Lord open their eyes and ears! 

Prayer warriors can win battles against the dark principalities before the battles even begin because prayer is the single most powerful tool at a Christian’s disposal. Pray for the members of the Body who are out in the open war zone as well. You don’t even have to know their names because God does.

Prayer works.  :) 

For Him,

Meema

(1 Corinthians 12:12) For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of the body, being many, are one body; so also is Christ.  (12:13) For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all made to drink of one Spirit.  (12:14) For the body is not one member, but many.  (12:15) If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; it is not therefore not of the body.  (12:16) And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; it is not therefore not of the body.  (12:17) If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?  (12:18) But now hath God set the members each one of them in the body, even as it pleased him.  (12:19) And if they were all one member, where were the body?  (12:20) But now they are many members, but one body.  (12:21) And the eye cannot say to the hand, I have no need of thee: or again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.  (12:22) Nay, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be more feeble are necessary:  (12:23) and those [parts] of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely [parts] have more abundant comeliness;  (12:24) whereas our comely [parts] have no need: but God tempered the body together, giving more abundant honor to that [part] which lacked;  (12:25) that there should be no schism in the body; but [that] the members should have the same care one for another.  (12:26) And whether one member suffereth, all the members suffer with it; or [one] member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.  (12:27) Now ye are the body of Christ, and severally members thereof. 

• Julie Daube, chipped china, radar and 1 other like this

#5 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

I never go about the world with the intention of preaching the gospel. Instead like Tozer and Watchman Nee have so well said, I look for the scent of Christ on people and respond to Him. There is scarcely anyone but the children in this country who have not heard the gospel, and have strong opinions either way. It's the people who know Him in some sense that the Lord wants me to connect with. Many people have some kind of faith but they don't really know Him. I think this is where the Lord wants me, encouraging, and edifying.

I want people to see and smell Christ in me. I want them attracted to Him. I know lots of people who I smell the scent of Christ, but I've only met one person that was fully given, sanctified to Him as to see glimpses of our living Lord. I was attracted like a bee to honey, in awe and wonder not at the human part but for seeing Christ here on earth. You probably think I'm looney, I don't care. I only care that I keep moving towards Him, letting go and letting God. I can do nothing good without Him. The works will come if I am surrendered wholly to my Savior, Lord of Lords, Creator and Redeemer.
  • Meema, radar and CHRISTOPHER310 like this

#6 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

Lots of times I have been very intentional in seeking the lost but when I just relax and pray for God to show me those to whom He wants me to share the gospel with...well it will happen without me even trying and then while it begins I recognize the Holy Spirit and  the words I hear from my own mouth seem from another not  befuddled but kind me...and the more I get out of God's way with all my new and improved(lol here) ideas the more I really SEE(i sometimes put blinders on I think when i just don't wanna be bothered but then God has a way of convicting and ripping 'em right off or letting me remove them since i keep putting 'em back on...on the learning curvy road lately but seeking correction to the straight and narrow by His hand and leading love all,in Christ

• Julie Daube, chipped china, radar and 1 other like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#7 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:38 AM

Betsy, I completely understand your analogy about ‘smelling Christ on another’. It’s a sixth sense one develops over time to recognize an open vessel. They are fertile ground for planting in. In this age one needs this ability to know when the right words could and should be spoken or withheld. It’s never an issue of me zealously exercising my ‘goodness’ but rather being ready to speak or stay silent based on His prompt. We can be too eager and thereby unknowingly heap coals on a reprobate's head. I don’t want that responsibility. 

I can’t claim to ever wake up with a “plan” to go forth and glorify God, not in a specific way, anyway. Neither do I pray that I do God’s will. I am surrendered therefore I wake up BEING God’s will. I doubt I even know half of what God uses me for. He knows exactly how to get the most out of this old open vessel. I don’t think I could point out anything specific or do an accounting. Not even sure I’d want to. I think of active intentions to glorify God as sort of falling into the alms category which are best done in private. He knows what I am able to do and that I am willing to do His bidding. I know when He is pleased with me or when I’ve let Him down so that’s about all the results for effort expended I can measure.

Every day is different, my call is specific to me, and He knows I am always at the ready to listen, obey and trust. Therefore, in effect, I just exist to glorify Him. Period. Some days are diamonds but even on the stone days, He is glorified because that’s an ongoing event in my heart even if I have done nothing outward that I can declare. And it’s okay. 

(Romans 8:28) And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

• chipped china likes this

#8 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

From the Webster Dictionary

Preach
PREACH, v.i. [L. proeco, a crier; precor.]

1. To pronounce a public discourse on a religious subject, or from a subject, or from a text of Scripture. The word is usually applied to such discourses as are formed from a text of Scripture. This is the modern sense of preach.

2. To discourse on the gospel way of salvation and exhort to repentance; to discourse on evangelical truths and exhort to a belief of them and acceptance of the terms of salvation. This was the extemporaneous manner of preaching pursued by Christ and his apostles. Mat 4:10. Acts 10:14.

PREACH, v.t. To proclaim; to publish in religious discourses.

What ye hear in the ear, that preach ye on the house-tops. Mat 10.

The Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings to the meek. Isa 61.

1. To inculcate in public discourses.

I have preached righteousness in the great congregations. Psa 40.

He oft to them preach'd

Conversion and repentance.

To preach Christ or Christ crucified, to announce Christ as the only Savior, and his atonement as the only ground of acceptance with God. 1 Cor 1.

To preach up, to discourse in favor of.

Can they preach up equality of birth?

PREACH, n. A religious discourse. [Not used.]

• chipped china and Meema like this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#9 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

This is a new precept for me but I'm coming to realize that God wants us to focus and "waste" on Him first and the rest will follow. Not what we decide to do but what He gives us. I just read a book that was studying Mary when she used the whole alabaster box of ointment on the Lord before His crucifixion. All the disciples said it was wasting something expensive that could be sold to feed the poor. Jesus encouraged her to waste on Him because we will always have the poor but not so with Him. It was like Mary was giving Him everything she had, and her most precious possession. He is worthy of everything we have.

Great discussions and yep it's all about the little God things unless you're a missionary or something like that. Blessings, on earth as it is in heaven
  • Meema and CHRISTOPHER310 like this

#10 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Not as much as I ought to be.....but when the occasion presents itself......as often it does......I candid;y give the reason for the hope that I have.

I ain't much on passing out tracts. Tract-passing has such a negative stigma attached to it. I recall as a child of 6 or 7, a man in the Old Hickory Mall in Jackson, Tennessee was passing out tracts. I accepted one. My aunt, who was chaperoning me, quickly took it from me and through it the next bin that we passed. I asked her why she did that. She muttered something about there being alot of weirdos in the world....lol. I never forgot that.

She's a Christian lady, as far as I can tell. Attends a Cumberland Presbyterian church. And is faithful in her attending. She readily confesses her faith in Christ. So I really don't know why she snatched the tract from my hands as I was unfolding it to read it.  That was 44 years ago. I guess that's why I have always been reluctant when a church that I was a member of decided that it was time to "canvas the neighborhood"  by knocking on doors and handing the person a tract......usually containing The Roman Road to Salvation and The Sinner's Prayer.  Good reading.......but in tract form......it seemed (in my mind) to take something away from the message. But that's just my own weird thinking.

Back to the TOPIC:  I don't share my faith near as much as I should.

#11 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Kevin,

That story makes me wonder too. If he had been yelling about hell and brimstone I could understand but not a piece of scripture. Perhaps it somehow points to a remnant from the dark ages when Christianity was forced on people. Man and Satan have so messed up the bible and God's true message even believers are skeptical of a simple act of faith. Or maybe your aunt knew something you didn't about the man's message and it was Christ protecting you. Perhaps is was as simple as etiquette. So much said about the Body being One.

#12 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

Yes Chipped China, knowing my aunt (my mother's sister) like I do, no doubt she was protecting me. She lived in Jackson and we were just up there visiting her.   It is very possible that she new the man and that he was possibly passing out WatchTower tracts. I have read some of them. They are chocked full of half-truths and out-right untruths.

Anyway, I don't doubt that my aunts motives were good.

A visiting evangelist came to our church (back in the early 90's when I was devout and devoted church member.....pastor was my best friend, held two ministries in the church, etc etc) and he preached one night on the effectiveness of what he called, his "Little Preachers".  They were tracts. Just basically, good, sound, Biblical, tracts.

Everyone in the church was put to task to pass out these tracts and everyone was given a CASE!!!!!!of them. Oh me!!!! ,,,,was what I thought. So I lay in bed one night, searching for a loophole (lol) and a lightbulb flickered (in my head).  I would go to Wal Mart, at night, and start sticking them under people's windsheild wiper's!!!!  That way, I could tell my fellow churchpersons when we next was meeting that I had passed out "X" number of tracts.  I conveniently didn't mention the windshield wiper part. (I was a hypocrite from head to toe but was really searching for something and wanting to fit in). Anyway, I go to Wal Mart about three days later to buy some sandpaper and wood glue or some such stuff. I noticed the "Little Preachers" scattered all over the parking lot!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!  That did it for me. 

This is my own personal experience with tracts and in no way depicts the correct and proper way to dispense with tracts. They serve a genuinely good purpose, I'm sure. Especially if a person goes blank while witnessing to another. But I pictured myself reading it while standing alongside someone and trying to share it's contents and I felt: "There must be a better way".

So now, instead of carrying a pocketful of tracts, I just share from the heart. It seems to reach into other's hearts a bit better (for me). Dee calling unto deep??? Something like that?  I am likely mis-using scripture but it seems apt for my purpose.   But for for many a fine Christian......tracts are the way to go. I endorse them.  Just not my thing. PEACE!!!!

• elizabethcog and CHRISTOPHER310 like this

#13 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

The Lord used a lady customer with a tract way back when I worked at a gas station in my early twenties. She got out of her car and came into the door of the station while we were having some food from the roach coach. I never before saw this customer leave her vehicle. Anyway, as she came in the door, she passed right by a couple of co-workers and handed me a tract with the grim reaper on it. I devoured it, but before reading the whole thing, I was told to get back to work two times. It was a divinely placed seed in my heart. I do believe though, in my case, that lady was specifically led to give it to me. She did not pass them out to everyone. A week after I got saved, first thing in the morning, a young guy came in to buy gas and he was anxiously telling me there was something he had to tell me. He began to present the gospel, as if he was supposed to maybe tell me sooner. I said, "it's all good, I accepted Christ last week." He was happy and relieved. So there are Spirit-led moments. I have passed out some tracts in those early days, but I think one should have a sense of leading to do so, even if it is the blanket approach. God can use anything if He is in it.

• Julie Daube, elizabethcog, CHRISTOPHER310 and 1 other like this

#14 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

My husband and I are intentional about building relationships with people in our community who don't know Jesus, whether it's the alcoholic/atheist neighbor in our apartment complex, the checkout girl at Albertson's, or the waitress at our local Subway. Once we have earned the right to be heard, we always seek opportunities to share the gospel with these people, not just once but multiple times as God opens doors to spiritual discussions (it's been demonstrated that most people need to hear the gospel at least several times before they respond in faith). In one case, a lasting friendship/discipleship relationship was established with a single mom who walked away from Jesus years ago but is still very open to talking about matters of faith. I also use FB to share the gospel with my unbelieving FB friends, including an atheist and those of the Jewish faith.

Because most people won't listen to the gospel until we've earned the right to be heard, my husband and I aren't always able to share the good news the first time we meet someone. So it's not like I'm always able to say, "Oh, yeah, last Saturday I presented the gospel to the hair stylist." But I am always seeking ways to share Christ's love in hopes it will open doors to speak His truth into people's lives, even if it's just sharing words of comfort from God's Word with a neighbor going through a rough time.

The most recent time I remember having an opportunity to actually share the gospel in a coherent way was last fall, when a neighbor's life was in turmoil. I was also able to pray with her when she was going through a health crisis. Unfortunately, she moved away so I lost contact with her. But before she moved, I gave her a devotional book containing comforting promises from God's Word. I am praying she will read it and encounter the Savior.

Over the years, we've taken a couple of neighbor kids to church and shared the gospel with them. One of them prayed to receive Jesus and was eventually baptized.

So there you have it! :)
  • ADVRider and CHRISTOPHER310 like this

#15 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

I love the diverse stories from God’s people about how they obey their call. I’ve always had enormous respect for the harvesters especially. I have listened to Dr. Mark Rutland preach for many years - on the radio - our local Christian channel. He has traveled the world with wife and four kids in tow, teaching to the unteachable. He has the most amazing stories.

I, on the other hand, only have my little seed sowing stories and I am not all that comfortable given specifics because it’s mostly unexplainable things that depends on the faith that someone else does the follow through. I never have proof that the whole process was completed, just faith. Further, I understand that God calls but not everyone answers.

I also understand about earning the right to speak to evangelize to someone. My small part comes even before that. 

I have had a $100 bill in a secret spot in my wallet for a number of years. It’s in keeping with a promise I made long ago to repay an answered prayer. So, from time to time, and when I am prompted I give to someone. Many different scenarios. Once I was stuck behind an car that was behind an old van that wasn’t moving in the middle of a busy street. The light changed several times and the driver in the car in front of me got mad and pulled out and screeched away. I moved forward but got concerned and got out to go see what the problem was. The problem was a young pregnant mother with a small child who was stressed to the max because her van died and she had no idea what to do. I had a cell phone so I let her use it to call someone for help. She seemed so small and defeated, her little shoulders all slumped. Soon a policeman had begun directing traffic around us. 

I stayed with her until a tow truck came. She looked away and said, “I don’t know how I will pay for this.”  I already knew I’d give it to her so I had the $ in my pocket. I pulled it out and put it in her hand and said, “You may not understand this, but Jesus loves you and wants the very best for you. This is just a way to get your attention.” And I prayed that she would be able to see and hear when the right person was appointed to speak to her.

And then I turned, got in my car and left. As soon as I was able I replaced the c-note and waited for the next time a wake up call was to be given. It’s always strangers, always someone on the brink of despair. It’s been a little family walking in traffic to the grocery store, a kid, a waiter, an old man. I don’t keep an accounting. Some stand out that I remember for one reason or another. Of course, I always pray that I’ve sown in fertile ground but, again, I can never know.   

Seeds waiting for the harvester that God sends another time at just the right moment, right circumstance, right season. 

Now, to be honest, I am still very uncomfortable posting this because I see this as a form alms and alms are best done in secret. In a way I see a potential danger in this kind of discussion. I am only sharing this to make a point that, yes, He can and does do things in all manner of ways. Ways few really understand.

For Him,

Meema

• Julie Daube, Kevin Blankenship and DonnaA like this

#16 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Another story of a Spirit-led moment. Almost two years ago, I was hiking with a friend and chatting. I told her I had bought a basketball and was planning to run a bit and shoot around for exercise at the court near my house (March Madness I tell you). When I said that, she said she felt that I was going to lead someone to Christ on the court. This was not a wishful thinking kind of thing; it was as if she got a revelation about it on the spot. I said, "ok, we'll see." Fast forward to August/September of that summer and I go to the court for maybe only the second or third time all summer. Each time I had gone earlier, there was no one else there. This time was the same until out of nowhere, a teenage girl walked onto the court from the far end and came straight up to me and said, "can I shoot with you"? I was polite and reluctantly said, "sure, I guess that would be okay." Inside, I was actually thinking "NO, I am here to get some exercise"; I was kind of annoyed by the prospect. But I shared. <_<  After about five or ten minutes of sharing the ball, I begin to wonder if this is the person my friend said I am to speak with about the Lord. But I've also learned I don't have to reach for this type of thing, or imagine stuff. My flesh at this point really still wanted to play BBall by myself, but I said to the Lord, "God, if you want me to talk to this girl about you, please let me know now. Because otherwise, I'm about to head home." Almost immediately, we went from shooting and sports talk to personal questions from her like, "did you play sports when you were young(er)"? ;) and "how long have you lived in Colorado Springs"? "Where did you live before and what brought you here"? These questions and answers lasted about 10-15 seconds. But since God strongly directed me to move here from the East Coast, I knew this was God opening the door to start with a short answer about God "speaking to me." Once that came out, her questions all came forth like a flood. She completely opened up about her struggles with God, believing, faith, her parents and mostly, her lack of trust. I got to share with her that God isn't who she was led to believe, that He wasn't looking for perfection, but that He just wanted her life and access to her heart. And so forth. All the while (about 10-20 minutes once the real conversation started), a middle-aged couple were circling the park on a walking path which comes close to the court. The third time around, they called out to her and said it was time to go. They were her parents and had heard some or much of what I was sharing with her. I got to share with her for a couple more minutes and encourage her to trust God and give control of her life to Him. It was a beautiful divine appointment for her with the Lord and there was nothing religious about it. Then I went home and later told my hiking friend over the phone. I do have to say, I've had other revelatory appointments that were set-up by the Lord, and I missed it through fear of stepping out, but the beauty of this is it is God doing the work, not us. We just have to be available and show up.

• Julie Daube, Meema and DonnaA like this

#17 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:42 AM

John, that was wonderful! God’s grace was all over it. He directed you to want to shoot hoops, then prepped you using an open vessel who was not afraid to speak out so that you wouldn’t dismiss the opportunity because it was going to be hard to recognize. He sent the child, in the right moment. He gave you the words. We can’t really know but only imagine how far and wide this one small encounter extended out. We serve an awesome God.

People will believe anything except how God does the most amazing things in the smallest ways. No theatrics, no flash and dash and fireworks needed. Success anyway.  :) 

For Him,

Meema

• DonnaA likes this

#18 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

Meema, that story of the girl at the red light really touched me. That was an EXCELLENT presentation of the gospel in action, in my opinion. I was also touched deeply by John's story.  In fact, everyone's reply has been wonderful.

• DonnaA likes this