• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

“Love the sinner, hate the sin.” Mahatma Gandhi
“Love the sinner, hate your own sin.” Josh Sisco, Pastor, Golden City Church, San Francisco

I love this. I was listening to Josh's sermon on his Podcast today.  He is a sweet, humble young man whom I've met and chatted with before.   

I did not know that Gandhi wrote this! Golden City Church is making an impact for Christ in SF and witnessing to the gay community. This takes guts beyond guts.

I was assuming that Gandi’s words (which I thought were developed from Jesus’s words somewhere along the way) were true. But, if we think of it in terms of the parable of Luke 6:41-42:

“Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.”

I believe we can see this more clearly. But, aren't we to hate what God hates?  And...love whom He loves?

I guess this verse is to the Jew, but for the Christian. Just sharing. What a thought!

Love,
Candice

#2 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

I believe that hate the sin and love the sinner is what works best for the world we live in. Not to confirm sin as acceptable, but to offer a chance of salvation to the sinner.

Not one of us walk upon this earth with breath of no sin. We all have sin and are sinners. It’s who we are as humans and what is to be found in a world that long as fallen with the first sin. However...

If we never hated the sin and love the sinner, I would not have been saved. I would have had no one their I felt welcoming in hope and better life to come if all I felt was hated for my sins. People who have been forgiven ( believers ) hated my sins but loved me as I was because their knew I was them. Their love for me was a key point in me desiring more from life than one of constant sin.

Hate the sin, love the sinner, and in turn, offer a chance of salvation to the sinner. It works.

• Charles Miles and chipped china like this