• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Here's a link an audio sermon by Charles Spurgeon that I hope some will enjoy hearing as a reminder we all need from time to time as it is our only real hope.

http://www.sermonaud...ID=724121152472

Candice

#2 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

I like to read some Spurgeon.  My only problem with Spurgeon is that he believes strongly  that Christ only died for the chosen/predestined.  Theologians call it "partial atonement".

But I must say, I have been greatly edified by some of Spurgeon's sermons.  As I have by some of Joseph Prince's sermons.

Great thread Candace.

• Candice likes this

#3 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

I like to read some Spurgeon.  My only problem with Spurgeon is that he believes strongly  that Christ only died for the chosen/predestined.  Theologians call it "partial atonement".
  But I must say, I have been greatly edified by some of Spurgeon's sermons.  As I have by some of Joseph Prince's sermons.
  Great thread Candace.

Hi Kevin,
Yes, I understand that some of the great teachers were Five-Point Calvinists. But, God will pan out all that. I like Joseph Prince's sermons. I don't know that he takes into consideration the whole counsel of God in his teaching because he's trying to get people to get the point of believing right, i.e. faith in Christ alone, which then in turn, produces right living, i.e. obedience and following the Good Shepherd. I think this is the focus of his ministry and its good because if we don't believe right, we will be messed up any way, so what's the point! We can't follow without the right believing.

#4 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yes, my thoughts precisely. I can take some good, edifying, thoughts away after reading Spurgeon, Prince, Cymbala, etc etc. 

Oh, there are certain ones that I won't read: Creflo, Duplanits, Hagin, Tilton (is he even still around?). But that is just my own feelings about the matter. I'm sure that everyone of us has our preferences,.......and differences. But we are all one in Christ. That's the beauty of it.  I can like Chevy, and my Christian sister/brother can like Ford. And my other Christian sister/brother can like Toyota. But when it comes to Jesus Christ, and the Cross......we all stand on God's Word.  (this is not a retaliatory reply: I'm just feeling wordy tonite) lol

#5 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

... enjoy reading the posts and sometimes realize the bottom line that I may be able to wrap my thoughts and heart around are that relying upon the Grace of God and His tender mercies are the only things that make for peaceful thinking. My wee thoughts can be whatever they are.  Others' thoughts I can read and reckon coming to think on God's grace and His tender mercies are as much as I can ponder on when all thoughts and things are being laid to rest.     Col.1:27; Heb. 13:5; and 1 Th. 4:11.  ....Just praying and asking for payer too.  God bless.