Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • family home church

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Thought I’d share this because it seems this topic comes up now and again and no matter how well it is discussed, it never really gets resolved enough to put it to rest. This might not either but at least it is food for thought.

I recently read a new book by Emily Freeman titled A Million Little Ways and because she is so painfully honest, and is willing to bare her deepest reservations and fears, and also because she is a stellar writer, I checked out her blog, Chatting At the Sky. I’ve really enjoyed it, though I realize her style and focus is likely to appeal more to young women, she is able to offer up universal wisdom in a refreshing, casual speaking style that I enjoy, even as old as I am. 

Anyway, the topic is “When Your Soul Has a Bad Idea”. I have permission to post  excerpts and a link to the entire post if you are interested. 

One day last week I’m struggling through those old kinds of struggles that never seem to fully go away – self-acceptance, over-thinking, fear. My mind cycles through them as they sit on the Lazy Susan of my soul. Pick one up, turn the wheel, put it back again...

... What to do when unwelcome thoughts push their way in? Worry about what a terrible person I am? Wring my hands over the terrible thoughts I have?

Please. Thinking about stealing someone else’s work is a glitter rainbow compared to some of the other thoughts that fly through my head. That feels terrifying to admit but also strangely relieving.

Shock and shame keep my head a clean distance from my heart. That is a dangerous place to live. I don’t want this kind of disconnected life.

The answer isn’t to shame myself into better thinking. That never works.

Instead, the answer for me is two-fold. First, stop being shocked by my own capacity for terrible thoughts... .

Here is the link to the whole commentary by Emily Freeman:

http://www.chattinga...has-a-bad-idea/

For Him,

Meema

• chipped china likes this

#2 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

I enjoyed her commentary, thanks Meema. Good solid food.