• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

We live in a remarkable age. The technological advances have been mind boggling. The means of communication have greatly increased. With this comes added responsibility for the Christian. How do we use E-Mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc? I personally have received from Christians, things that I believe and hope they must not have read carefully before forwarding. What kind of testimony do we project on the social media? Is it Christ-like? Do we ever type things that we would never say? Do we gossip, criticize, backbite, complain, etc? Do we unwittingly endorse something that we do not intend to endorse? If we respond to a web site that displays objectional material, couldn't that imply our O.K. of that site and its content? These thoughts were brought to mind by an article in an excellent publication called "Convictions Journal" published at Riverside Drive Baptist Church in Auburn, Maine. Modern technology provides wonderful opportunities to represent Christ and encourage people to receive salvation. Let's use them in ways that a disciplined Christian should. Let's exemplify the Godly character and standards that will honor and glorify our wonderful Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O lord, my strength, and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14). May this be our guide in print, in our use of technology and in our public and private communications. Selah! Let's be sure our speech and our devices are sanctified!    Thinker  (Ron)

• Kenny and DonnaA like this

#2 DonnaA

DonnaA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Bible study with commentaries by Tozer, Francis Chan, Ravi Zacharias, Peterson, Idleman, C.S. Lewis, Yancey and others who challenge me in my walk with God ....
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I use FB to post a daily verse that God speaks to my heart during my morning devotional.  I also use it to keep in touch with family/friends and let them know that I'm praying for them or to encourage them in some way. The same with email ... keep in touch with friends, business contacts/meetings, prayer chain messages ... and like you, I get those occasional emails that must not have been read prior to forwarding ... usually from someone that I think should know better. :)

I do not use twitter.

I do use skype to visit with our exchange student (he lives in Armenia) and my grandson (he's 17 months old). Such wonderful technology to visit love ones from afar. :)

I agree that all methods of communication, whether in person, in writing, by phone or other means of technology should be a reflection of Godly character.

• Julie Daube and Thinker like this

Now we have this treasure in clay jars, so that this extraordinary power may be from God and not from us. 

We are pressured in every way but not crushed; we are perplexed but not in despair; 

we are persecuted but not abandoned; we are struck down but not destroyed.

~2 Corinthians 4:7-9~

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I am on Facebook and use it to post prayer requests, encouraging Scriptures/quotations, and devotionals. I also use FB to raise awareness concerning issues I am passionate about, ranging from nutritional healing to protection of the unborn. As a constitutionalist, I seek to promote understanding of the U.S. Constitution and the limits of federal power by posting quotes from our founding fathers and other resources. Sometimes I will post petitions related to these issues that people can sign if they feel so inclined. And I sometimes use FB to brighten people's day by sharing humorous posts I've seen on my friends' pages. :)

Thankfully, I have rarely seen people gossip or backbite on FB (I would say almost never). I have seen younger people who sometimes show a lack of discretion in what they post, but that's probably due to immaturity and something they will outgrow. I've also been involved in some lively political discussions on FB, but most of these dialogues have remained civil. I've also had opportunities to dialogue with an atheist about my faith.
  • chipped china, Thinker, DonnaA and 1 other like this

#4 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

I love modern technology, yet dislike the fact of how much of the personal element it has removed from us. Before all this modern technology captured and enraptured us we would get out among our neighbors and community to interact on a personal level with people face to face, one on one. Facebook and Twitter, etc., etc. has taken away from us much of that personal touch, but only because we have allowed it to do so. I am just as guilty of this as anyone. 

• Kevin Blankenship and Thinker like this

#5 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

I love modern technology, yet dislike the fact of how much of the personal element it has removed from us. Before all this modern technology captured and enraptured us we would get out among our neighbors and community to interact on a personal level with people face to face, one on one. Facebook and Twitter, etc., etc. has taken away from us much of that personal touch, but only because we have allowed it to do so. I am just as guilty of this as anyone. 

So am I.......as guilty as anyone. But I was making this VERY SAME observation to someone the other day. About how people have become more introverted and less community minded. We could sure learn a good lesson from the Mennonites in this regard. They might have a few doctrinal distinctives that are tough to swallow, but they have a better community spirit than I EVER see among my fellow countians. But I hate to say it but I will: I am a number one offender.  I ALMOST traded my computer for a set of suspenders and a straw hat (so to speak) when I saw how great it is when everyone in a community pull together. The Mennonites in my County are good friends of mine. I have hunted and fished with them. I use to attend their monthly hymn singing. (women on the left, men on the right, no instruments......but sounded BEAUTIFUL and like form another era). Anyway,  yes, I Facebook and share stuff sometimes.  Thankfully, most of my Facebook friends are decent folk and don't get on there and spread rumor and talk rot.