Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Atascosa Christian Fellowship

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

I am hoping someone who is better adapt at ferreting out a source (or perhaps someone in the archives) could help me out. I am trying to track down the source of this quote by Simpson, ""Prayer is the mighty engine that is to move the missionary work." I have not had much success only determining that is has been quoted abundantly. Can anyone help me out?

"A non-praying preacher and a non-praying Church may flourish outwardly and advance in many aspects of their life. Both preacher and church may become synonyms for success, but unless it rest on a praying basis all success will eventually crumble into deadened life and ultimate decay."
E.M. Bounds

#2 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

I've seen it quoted a lot, and it is always attributed to Simpson; however, so far I've not been able to find the original source. I work at the National Office and could ask the staff over in Archives; however, if they don't know right off the top of their head, it could take them quite some time to find it and I know they are always very busy. I'll see what I can do.

#3 Rob Jeffrey

Rob Jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Julie, it is not that critical. I was hoping someone knew the source or knew which direction to point.

"A non-praying preacher and a non-praying Church may flourish outwardly and advance in many aspects of their life. Both preacher and church may become synonyms for success, but unless it rest on a praying basis all success will eventually crumble into deadened life and ultimate decay."
E.M. Bounds

#4 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

I checked out ALL the writings of Simpson found at http://www.cmallianc...history/simpson and was unable to find that quote from Simpson. 

#5 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

I looked for it in a collection of Simpson quotes our Communications Office has on file but couldn't find it there.

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

This quote by Simpson can be found in his book, "Days of Heaven Upon Earth", page 64. Maybe quoted elsewhere as well.
  • Kenny likes this

#7 Rob Jeffrey

Rob Jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

Thank you Candace!!!!

E.M. Bounds