• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Interests:Missions, Africa, Cleveland and Ohio Sports
  • I am a Missionary

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Northview Alliance Church, Wooster, Ohio

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Reflections on Bea Bixler by my mother's sister, Mariane Holbrook:

My cousin, Beatrice Bush Bixler, who lived next door to us during our growing-up years in Waverly, NY, was called

Home to heaven on Friday, November 15.  She was 97 years old. Bea was the wife of Rev. Clair Bixler, an Alliance pastor

in the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church, who predeceased her. They had four children: Betsy, Bill, Bob and Barbara.

The couple served in Alliance churches in New York and New Jersey. 

Known as a prolific song writer (with well over 1,000 sacred hymns to her credit), she left her indelible imprint on hymns for

many decades, writing such time-honored classics as "The Breaking of the Bread," "I Am Not Worthy," "It May Be Today,"

"Give Them At Least One Chance," "Life Is A Symphony, "If You Only Knew," "Jesus Himself" and hundreds more. 

Many were published in the popular Singspiration song books in the mid-1900s. Bea was a close friend of Christian radio host,

Bill Pierce, who regularly played Bea's songs on his "Nightsounds" programs originating from Chicago.  Bea traveled extensively

over most of the United States, giving concerts at Women's retreats, annual conferences and missionary conventions of many

denominations. In addition to her studies at Nyack College, Bea studied music at Houghton College where her love for classical

music was often skillfully interwoven into her sacred music.  She was as passionate ministering to groups of ten people as she

was to concert halls of thousands. Her calendar was full for several years ahead, as she was invited back again and again to

yearly events of many organizations and denominations.

Her final years were spent in a nursing home in Waverly, NY where she walked the halls, singing to those who beckoned her

from their beds. She quickly discovered a piano and began playing daily, where groups gathered around her, stunned at her

piano skills, still exciting and impressive for someone in her late 90. All of her extended family were understandably and

inordinately proud of Bea and her vast talent which, since early childhood, was God-blessed and an inspiration to tens of thousands

during her long and productive life.

Attached Files

• Attached File  bea2.jpg   24.08KB   0 downloads

#2 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

I use to faithfully listen to Bill Pearce's Nightsounds radio show every night, and would often hear and enjoy Bea's music. Nightsounds and the music Bill chose was so soothing to my soul. In fact I still replay and listen to past night sound programs on the internet.

The web address for Nightsounds is

http://www.nightsoundsradio.org/

I recommend this sight to everyone. Nightsounds is such a blessing to many. Go to the Nightsounds site and click on any of the given choices found in the right column to listen.

CAUTION - you may become addicted to Nightsounds. I know I did. The selections are constantly updated. And who knows you might even get to hear a few of Bea's songs.

Thanks for sharing Andrew and Esther

Blessings to both of you

• Andrew/Esther Schaeffer, chipped china and Ginger like this

#3 Mariane Holbrook

Mariane Holbrook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading biographies and histories, music, painting, researching
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • n/a

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

When I wrote the above reflections of my cousin, Bea Bixler, which my niece, Esther Schaeffer, posted, I didn't have time to include some of her songs that I found on Youtube and other venues.  Here are a few more.  Please feel free to add links to the list if you have them:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HeXDJBXMvvc
Song: "Give Them At Least One Chance To Live"
(Written and sung by Bea Bixler who accompanies herself on the piano)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0fIyjAT7jYg 
Song "The Prodigal's Prayer"
(Written and sung by Bea Bixler who accompanies herself on the piano)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kdXGJyEf6nw
Song: It may be today" written by Bea Bixler
( Recorded by Paul Mickelson singers)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=F7Z2ZAV58Pc
Song: "I Am Not Worthy" written by Bea Bixler
(Recorded by The White Sisters)

• chipped china, Kenny and Ginger like this

#4 Nelson Houston

Nelson Houston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Trinity Christian Chapel

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks to Jerry Harding for alerting me to this post.

One of the fond memories of my childhood/teen years growing up in the Alliance church in Waverly  was those occasions when Beatrice would be present in a service and would play and sing.

When I went to Nyack College, Beatrice was instrumental in  a scholarship a received.

Nelson Houston

• Andrew/Esther Schaeffer likes this

#5 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing this beautiful music and memories. Also for the night sounds radio site. It's uplifting to hear of someone living so gracefully with our Lord.

• Andrew/Esther Schaeffer and Ginger like this