Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • The Bridge

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

Doing a bit of researching and lotsa praying about the Bible to read from......I have been reading now for four years (Thank you Lord for your saving grace!) I never gave alot of thought about it before,actually didn't even know of all these choices.So just curious which you might prefer,or better ? which do you believe is the one Jesus would have us learn from Him from? All prayers for wisdom in this very important matter much appreciated.I do not want to cause anyone to argue or look down on anyone else for their leading in this matter, but any encouraging words I will seek as seek God's guidance for me. Some churches read only from this one and others might say do not read from that one, what led to your choice about your Bible?Thank you Lord for your word and your grace and your people and thank you for your Son,in Jesus name I pray....

• Kevin Blankenship and Ginger like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#2 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

I heard somewhere that the New American Standard Bible is the translation that most evangelical pastors prefer. For myself, I like to use a variety of Bibles. I like the NASB and NIV, but sometimes the Message and the New Living Translation seem more alive to me (both are paraphrases and not direct translations). I also like the New King James version. I often use Biblegateway.com to search for a Scripture passage I like and then try a variety of translations to see which one speaks to my heart the most. I'm not one of those who is really hung up on any one particular translation; to me, the most important thing to read the Word. :)  

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and Ginger like this

#3 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hi Elizabeth, 

Thank you for sharing.  Personally I listen to podcasts a lot and go to the Scripture references.  Some topical studies are helpful. Some podcasts go book by book verse by verse.  A few months back Jon Courson started again in the book of Genesis and I was so glad to begin afresh with Genesis. 

e-Sword has several Bible versions, commentaries, dictionaries, and extras that can be downloaded free.  Other modules can be added from the program.  Just so thankful to have e-Sword and other bible programs too. 

A recent program by Charles Stanley was on Gideon and that sent me to Judges 6 and onward to follow what happened in his life's events and how years later what the events were.  The Holy Spirit had me focus on Gideon for a bit for what's been happening within and in my daily life...

Podcast can be nurturing for me.... sort of like having a pantry of spiritual foods...  Chuck Missler, Jon Courson, Charles Stanley are what the Lord is having me to listen to and then the Holy Spirit does as only He can...  Hope this may make some sense....

God bless your study and guide you moment by moment.

Love to you,

Ginger

• Kevin Blankenship and elizabethcog like this

#4 Robert Sanford

Robert Sanford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • North Springs Alliance

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

I am a big fan of New American Standard Bible when I want to "study" God's Word. Like Julie, I do read several versions to change up how I experience God's Word.

• Julie Daube, Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and 1 other like this

#5 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

The New American Standard Version is a literal word for word translation, whereas the NIV is a Dynamic equivalent (thought for thought) translation. I like them both but prefer the NASB. Other acceptable versions are the KJV, NKJV, and the ESV. I also keep a copy of the Amplified Bible in my library as well as the Jerusalem Bible. The AMP Bible provides word definitions within the text and the Jerusalem Bible includes the historical books I and II Macabees which is useful when studying the history of the Jewish people and the persecutions they endured.

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and Ginger like this

#6 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Off topic;  Received a call for prayer and asking for you all to pray too....

... person is in now a vegetable state ... please pray... thank you.... thank you for being here....

thank you for your helping ...

Listening to Chuck Missler on John so thankful for help ...   http://www.freewebs....diesmp3file.htm ...

#7 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

I am praying, Ginger! In Jesus' name I speak life, healing, and rejuvenation over this person who needs God's touch. May God bring full restoration of health!

• Ginger likes this

#8 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Thank you all so much for the helpful insights!!And prayers for peace and comfort and restoration for your friend Ginger,in Jesus precious name..

• Ginger likes this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#9 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thank you for praying, it helps so much to have you pray!

Back to the Bible... Will pray for all of us here ... missing some posters posting.... know folks get busy and post as led or as need to....

:-) so happy that we can have joy all the time... maybe being happy or unhappy about some things gives opportunity presentations for prayer and praise and sharing ...

Again, thank you so very much for your prayers!  Sometimes it seems that my prayer life is sort of feeble but that may not be true... God KNOWS...

Please spare me a prayer .... think I'll encourage myself in the Lord as David did and also just read some of Tozer's writings... and pray the best I can and give thanks that Jesus is our High Priest and interceding for us... O Julie and Elizabeth bless you for posting your prayers... Praising God for us joining together in Jesus name... WOW  ... He KNOWS... GodSmile... Seems like having a visit via these post...

Blessings.....

In Christ's love,

Ginger

• elizabethcog likes this