Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

What made Jesus excited? We hear much in the Gospel about His motivation for saving us, but we rarely get a glimpse of His personality. However, Luke gives us an interesting clue. Firstly, he writes about the “seventy who returned” from their assignment of preaching, healing, and casting out demons (Luke 10:1, 17). The seventy-two are all excited because “demons submitted to them” (17). However, Jesus said, “do not rejoice in this, that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven” (18). In other words, see yourselves as seated in heavenly places, and don’t get too involved with the demonic stuff the earth is infused with. Preach, but don’t get involved in the demonic-inspired arguing etc.

Next, Jesus reveals what really makes Him excited. Scripture states, “At that same hour, Jesus REJOICED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT and said, ‘I thank you Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for such was Your gracious will’” (21).

I think that is really interesting and reveals much! Jesus is happy and joyful and tickled that God revealed great wisdom to unlearned men, and hid it from the great scholars and leaders of the people! Isn’t that cool? So when we see wrongs and blasphemies being committed by the so-called scholars, we can rejoice like Jesus, knowing that God reveals great truths to the simple, and conceals them from people who think they know everything!
  • Julie Daube, Travis Richey, Kevin Blankenship and 4 others like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#2 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Now that's just an awesome post right there!!!!!! Jesus rejoices in the Divine Wisdom of God: in that the "secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, He will make them know His covenant" (psalm 25:14) And that God has hidden the "things of God' from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Jesus rejoices in this fact. The world looks down on us non-intellects. The world looks at the outer person. Look at all the beautiful people who are "given the keys to this lower kingdom".....Hollywood. It's very rare to see an unattractive person acting in a commercial....or in a love scene. Unless it fits Hollywoods wicked purposes.
And then: Jesus gives us easy permission to REJOICE!!!!!!!! that we are Heaven-bound. That our names are known in Heaven. That we are "SOMEBODY" in a sea of anonymity.......in Heaven.
I pretty much just reworded your post Lori, but you did a MUCH better job. Because when I read your post, I felt mysefl being encouraged. Encouraged: given courageto keep forging ahead and not grow weary in doing the next right thing. Priceless stuff right there. Thanks Lori!!!! You are the encourager today!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Julie Daube, Lori Smith, elizabethcog and 1 other like this

#3 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

I think that is really interesting and reveals much! Jesus is happy and joyful and tickled that God revealed great wisdom to unlearned men, and hid it from the great scholars and leaders of the people! Isn’t that cool? So when we see wrongs and blasphemies being committed by the so-called scholars, we can rejoice like Jesus, knowing that God reveals great truths to the simple, and conceals them from people who think they know everything!

Very cool indeed Lori! I've often thought and asked the Lord to give all the people who are poor, following Him like a little lamb, to go ahead of me at the table when we are in the Lord's presence. I don't know if it actually works that way practically speaking. But, I don't know that I qualify for the head of the line. Candice
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and radar like this