Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

I just read this quote by Elisabeth Barrett Browning, and I love it.

Earth's crammed with Heaven,

And every common bush afire with God,

But only he he who sees takes off his shoes--

The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#2 landonmark

landonmark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music
  • I am a Layperson

• Greater Alton Church

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

Hello, Lori,

That is an amazing little nugget of truth....

I pray you are well these days, and that the Spirit of God continues to move you down the narrow path.

I am well, and ever more set upon by desire as the days progress- the desire to know Jesus more today than I did yesterday. The weakness of my flesh, and the selfish demands I place upon my own time hinder the progress I might otherwise make- but God is ever faithful to move me along, if ever so slightly, each day.

Just wanted to drop you a line to say hi.
In Jesus,
Mark Landon
  • Lori Smith and Kevin Blankenship like this

#3 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

Grace and blessings Mark Landon!

I'm glad you are well. Thank you for the greeting! My prayer for you today, is that God might part the veil a bit more for you today, that you might catch a glimpse of His great love for you! The cross demonstrates His desire for us. His grace is amazing, and His glory astounds those who stop to look.

Shalom,
Lori
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#4 sharontaf

sharontaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hi Lori, I loved this! Thank you for posting it. I sometimes watch people rushing around, all in their own world, in their own thoughts. At the beach, I see people swimming in the ocean, throwing around Frisbees, all seemingly taking for granted the amazing world our Lord has made. I cannot help to look at the beauty of this world, watch the birds, look at the intricacy of the various flowers, catch a glorious sunset, think about the depth behind creation, and it is simply impossible to grasp the greatness that is behind it. Sometimes I think about the life in the waters, a whole other "world" which we know nearly nothing about. I can't help but wonder just how many different types of living things are under the waters. Or the rainforest, how many living things we have not even had the opportunity to discover and explore. Oh this glorious world! I cannot fathom the greatness of our God, but Oh how I long to see Him face to face some day, if I can bear it! I cannot fathom being that abundantly blessed!! May our dear Lord bless you with more and more of Himself and may we all continue to make Him known to a lost any dying world. Sharon T

#5 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Sharon,

Thank you so much for your post! People like you make God so happy! Indeed, you bring a smile to His face ...

Blessings,
Lori
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I like this little verse. The only place I can truly see the glory of God is in His creation - not to be a creation worshipper. Only looking at wildflowers, birds, mountains, streams, etc. am I able, right now, to see Him at all - His glory.

Thank you for posting this.

#7 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

Thank you Lori, for sharing that poem!!!! It seems to me that it challenges my perspective.....and in a good and heavenly WAY. Sometimes, I am guilty of viewing the world through a (First Adam) lens. But as I grow in faith and knowledge of Jesus, my perspective is becoming.......different. Right now, that is the only way that I can define it. Different. But in a better way. A more Scriptural way. Everyday that I neglect the reading of God's Word and neglect talking to God through prayer, I start on that downward path. That ugly old path that is well trodden and that I am ready to get off of. If I miss a couple of meals, my physical body is quick to tell me about it!!! "You are very hungry!!! Let's fix that!!!" lol. But I am starting to hear the voice of the Spirit more and more and He says: "You are very hungry and thirsty. Let's fix that. put aside your little hobbies and pasttimes for a while, and spend some quality time getting fed and having your thirst quenched. By Bible Study and by Prayer. When you are satiated, then go about your daily affairs (in moderation)." My spiritual ears are opening. I could HEAR what that poem was telling me. Praise God!!!! It's been a long time a comin'!!!! But thank God!!!!! he has opened my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again Lori!!!! You are the best!
  • Lori Smith likes this

#8 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Thank you my brother Kevin. You are often a brightener of my day!