• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 childofrevival

childofrevival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sports, music and, above all, revival - God making Himself manifest.
  • I am a Retired Alliance Worker

• I attend an Alliance church
  • PacRim Alliance

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Dear moderator,
I usually enjoy reading the many ideas expressed on this forum but wonder why so many have little or nothing to do with 'the deeper life' as taught by Simpson and Tozer. I am pleased that people have a place where they can express their views or ask questions about matters of faith, but surely this should be under a different file than 'deeper life'. It is not my intention to minimise these views but would really like to see Alliance pastors/ members contributing a lot more than at present.
Sincerely,
Gareth

#2 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Dear Pastor Gareth,

At first I didn't quite know what to think about your post so I went to your web site and learned more about you and your life. My computer isn't working properly so I wasn't able to listen to the whole sermon "Show me Your Glory" but it touched my spirit as did the couple Soap Box letters I read. I think you can tell the people who have posting on this site are hungry and on fire for our Lord. Perhaps you think we are getting off track by exposing ourselves to each other, I don't know. I do know we are seeking a deeper life with our Lord and Savior and by loving and accepting each other His commandant is becoming manifest. With that said, I would love to have more pastors/members contribute to our content. And I have wondered why more people don't. Perhaps the Lord wants people to do His work in person at the local church.

I realize you are retired but if you want to guide us into a deeper life discussion, I know it would be a blessing. God Bless you, Betsy
  • Lori Smith and elizabethcog like this

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

As far as I'm concerned, our everyday struggles and concerns and the SHARING of same is a vital part of living the deeper life. Or attempting to. Everytime I share in the Deeper Life forum, I have one thing on my mind, either edifying others or "confessing my faults one to another that I may be healed." Healed from what? Sin-sickness......a MAJOR hindrance to living the deeper life.
I a nutshell, I can see how threads and posts from each and every brother and sister in Christ is aiming directly at living the Deeper and all consuming life. I want Jesus to so fully fill and consume me with love for Him that I wake up in the mornings with a song in my heart and even on my lips! We have each other, we Christians. And some of us don't have a local fellowship where we can discuss our concerns so we share them with each other. But I can see where your coming from. When I first joined the Froum, I figured that the Deeper Life would mainly be quotes from a Tozer book or a Simpson book, or a Charles Finney book (I HAD to throw him in there since he wasn't a CMA member. Like I'm not. If we had a CMA church in my town...I'd be the first one to join, as I really like their interdenominational stance. It's all about carrying the great news of the reconciliation to God that has been implemented (for lack of a much better word) by Christ and His sufferings, death, burial, and resurrection.
And lastly, I do think that there should probably be an extra sub-forum added for certain topics. I can't think of one right off. But the Deeper Life forum is where we all meet. And I have learned SO MUCH from the members here on how to have a deeper walk with our Saviour AND Lord.
  • Lori Smith, elizabethcog and chipped china like this

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

I apologize for mis-posting here on several occassions as I am sure I could have withheld a post or posted elsewhere on this site or perhaps another type of forum altogether. I confess that this post gave me a sense of sadness and guilt. Coincidentally, I have recently paused before posting because I've often wondered if I'm posting correctly here. Many times have thought something like..."this isn't really about deeper life". But, I perused the other post areas and my posts didn't seem to fit. I'm sure, as far as my posts and replies are concerned, that I could be more cautious and thoughtful before posting. Maybe I'm wasting others' time.

I certainly need to consider my posts before the LORD each and every time. I will post here for deeper life only unless a moderator wants to suggest something for us all.

I believe it is a type of fellowship on this forum that is missing for many here. Please suggest another forum? Any pastor who visits is someone I'd like to hear from as well.

I'm sorry to have offended you; hope I have not offended anyone else here. If I have, I am really sorry and need to know.

Candice
  • Kevin Blankenship and elizabethcog like this

#5 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Pastor Gareth,

I wish to echo the others regarding our use of this section; indeed, I believe helping each other conquer sin is an element of seeking the deeper life. Certainly, Tozer and Simpson spoke about sin!

However, if you mean we are not focusing more on diving into the deeper things of the Spirit, I would say that you will find a group here that is willing and able to do that! We love the Lord and are ready to have some discussions with you! Moreover we would enjoy it! We look forward to hearing what you might like to discuss.

In Christ--my only hope for grace,

Lori
  • Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#6 childofrevival

childofrevival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sports, music and, above all, revival - God making Himself manifest.

• PacRim Alliance

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi Betsy, Be assured that I would want to encourage Kevin, Candice, Lori and others in writing to a forum where they can share thoughts, struggles, etc., with us. I am not offended or upset at their writings. My only request is that alternate platforms could be opened up to such thoughts, if possible. eg; Questions/ Biblical interpretation/ Testimony/Doctrine, etc.
Thank you for looking at my web page - I hope you found it interesting. You will have seen that I have a passion for the 'deeper life' as I believe it was taught by Simpson and Tozer, and fear that we dilute that message when we collect so many other thoughts, ideas, opinions, under its banner. Though I am an ordained C&MA pastor (retired) it has been my privilege to speak/teach in many other churches and countries. I consider myself a Kingdom Believer, rather than 'Alliance', having regard for people of many denominational persuasions, though holding to a (fairly) clear doctrinal position myself, very close (identical?) to that of our Alliance forefathers.

I would be greatly honoured to lead into a discussion on the deeper life as taught by Simpson and Tozer, acknowledging the moderator's right to edit it as you will.

Rejoicing in His mercies,

Gareth

#7 childofrevival

childofrevival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

• PacRim Alliance

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

A B Simpson clearly taught the necessity of a baptism of the Holy Spirit subsequent to conversion. Tozer wrote "When a man is filled with the Holy Spirit, he knows it!" - a definite experience. I believe it was also Tozer who wrote, concerning "Dispensationalism" - the belief that the church received its baptism in the Holy Ghost at Pentecost and we require nothing more now than we received at conversion. He wrote, "Dispensationalism is more dangerous than liberalism - liberalism has cost us our message, dispensationalism has cost us our power!"
In 1905 Simpson wrote a long article for the Alliance magazine, Living Truths, on the subject of The Baptism of the Holy Spirit, A Crisis or an Evolution. He concluded: "The truth I have been endevoring to demonstrate is intensely practical. So long as people think they have it all, there is little incentive to rouse themselves and claim their full inheritance, but when God's people see that like Israel of old, they are still toiling in the wilderness under His displeasure, that they are neglecting a great salvation, that they are out of fellowship with Christ and grieving the Holy Ghost, motive is supplied of overwhelming power and they are led to a heart searching, humiliation and unceasing prayer, and a new impulse comes into their lives like a great tidal wave over the ocean of love, and an experience comes to the soul as much higher than conversion as conversion was better than the old life of flesh and sin. This is the deepest need of the church today. One such consecrated, Spirit-filled life means a score of souls for God. 'Let us therefore fear lest the promise being left us of entering into His rest any of you should seem to come short of it.'"

#8 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Ah, yes, many people are left in their lives saved by grace but still just living their daily life. They haven't come to the joy of breathing for Him, being shaped by Him our Creator and finisher of His handy work. We were made by Him and for Him. I'm praying the Lord will keep shaping me so He can attract others to experience the only thing that brings real joy and peace, knowing God, glorifying His Son, loving others.

#9 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Gareth,

I'm reading "He Holds our Tomorrows", and enjoying it very much. It's a blessing and full of truth. Thank you for interceding here, I still have much to learn and experience. I look forward to more maturing until His work is done in me. In Christ, bets

#10 childofrevival

childofrevival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

• PacRim Alliance

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hi Betsy,
I'm glad your enjoying the book on Faith. Interestingly, today's A B Simpson devotional emphasises the same truth as I try to do in my book. The Faith that pleases God has its source in Him, not in us. My favorite verse is Gal 2:20 as the KJV expresses it (correctly I believe) - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Gareth

#11 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

That's wonderful verse. My favorite verse at the moment is John 10:27-28. I love the thought that I'm one of his sheep and He put His voice in my heart. I find much comfort in the fact that I will follow Him and no one can snatch me from His Father's Hand.

Another part of your book I really liked was when you explained the 3 stages of a maturing Christian. It helped me look at where I am and gave me direction where to proceed. Blessings Bets

#12 childofrevival

childofrevival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

• PacRim Alliance

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi Betsy, It's now almost two weeks since I started this discussion and since I wrote that a 'baptism of the Holy Spirit' is the doorway to the "deeper life" as taught by Tozer, Simpson and many other non-Pentecostals. I am saddened that no one, other than yourself, has followed that up. This belief was held by Wesley, Matthew Henry, A J Gordon, D L Moody, Andrew Murray, F B Meyer, Torrey, George Muller, etc., as well as all early C&MA pastors. It was one of the four 'crises' in A B Simpson's life, upon which he established his "four-fold" gospel.

#13 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Pastor Gareth,
It was my understanding when I first became a believer that I received the Holy Spirit upon confession of faith after believing and receiving Christ as Savior. I've heard of the second blessing, baptism of the Spirit, etc. I'm not sure what to think. I wonder if it's possible to prove the differences scripturally. My pastor and I spoke about this just weeks ago and he indicated what my original understanding was is what his understanding is too.

So, you're saying that you can believe and receive and not have the Holy Spirit? Then what is receive? Or, is it: 1) believe only or 2) believe and receive?

Blessings,
Candice