Photo

Good reading concerning the Deeper Life!!!!! Suggestions???

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

All,
I have books (as noted above) that I'd sell on my Amazon sellers account if interested. I'd sell them for a dollar. I just hope you would share them with another person someday when the LORD leads. I can always purchase on my nook. I'm less "stingy" with the books since so many brothers and sisters have shared books without even asking for them to be returned. All that we have is the LORD's anyway!

Let me know if you want any of the above books. I'll list them on Amazon for you and tell you my sellers account name, etc.
Candice
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this

#22 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Candace. I'll red back through this thread today and see what you have listed. . I'll come back and EDIT this post with more info on which book you have that I would like to purchase. I have an account with Amazon, but all I have ever done was buy....I didn't realize that I could sell too. Pretty neat. I have a few books that I would loosen my grip on and that are real good. I don't reckon I plan on being buried with them. And absolutely no one in my family expresses a desire to read the old Classics.

#23 Rob Jeffrey

Rob Jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Atascosa Christian Fellowship

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

The Christ-Life by AB Simpson is a MUST read. It is probably my favorite Simpson book.
"A non-praying preacher and a non-praying Church may flourish outwardly and advance in many aspects of their life. Both preacher and church may become synonyms for success, but unless it rest on a praying basis all success will eventually crumble into deadened life and ultimate decay."
E.M. Bounds

#24 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

Thanks Rob!!! I am going to make a big book order today, and the one that you mentioned by AB Simpson will be on it. As will many, if not all of the previously mentioned ones. I use ChristianBook sellers and sometimes Amazon and have had great results with both!! Thanks, Rob, for the heads up on what appears like a great work by a great Man of God!!!!

#25 Jen Rohde

Jen Rohde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • I am a National Office Worker

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

The Spirit Filled LIfe by Oswald J. Smith is one that I am currently reading. It is beautiful.

#26 Rob Jeffrey

Rob Jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Atascosa Christian Fellowship

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

A great site for ordering books is bookfinder.com. It is a search engine for book sellers.
"A non-praying preacher and a non-praying Church may flourish outwardly and advance in many aspects of their life. Both preacher and church may become synonyms for success, but unless it rest on a praying basis all success will eventually crumble into deadened life and ultimate decay."
E.M. Bounds

#27 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

I was digging though my book collection today. Guess what i found. "A Larger Christian life" by A.B. Simpson!!!! That great lover of Jesus only reinforces my desire to become connected with the Christian and Missionary Alliance in some stronger way. I sure wish y'all would send a missionary to my town in Tennessee. We need the gospel as much as any other country. We are fast becoming a heathen nation.

#28 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Kevin,
Maybe we should have the growing and thriving church in China, Iran and N. Korea come to our shores! -Candice

#29 Brian Elmer

Brian Elmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Reading/study, music, golf
  • I am a Pastor

• Perrysburg Alliance

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. Excellent read...

#30 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I download most of my books on Kindle now. I know a lot people like them in their hand. I just find it easier these days plus you can download the Kindle for free on Amazon and the downloads are less expensive than a new book. Anyway, I think it would be fun to choose a book and read it at the same time and then discuss it.
I just finished reading Peace Child and loved it. It's an older book and you've probably already read it.

#31 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Alot of wonderful books to purchase and be edified by. I realize the danger of NOT staying with the Bible, but OH how many time have I been pulled out of a slump by reading a chapter of Tozer. Or Brother Lawrence. Or Andrew Murray. Or Charles Spurgeon.
I especially love the old classics as they were written before the day of radio and television. The authors only influence was his study of God's Word, how he interprets it, and how he lives it out.
I was even helped GREATLY my Hannah Whitall Smith even though in her later years she became a Universalist. Her book: The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life really gave me much help in my early days. And I didn't see her teaching being much different from several other great saints. THAT book doesn't teach universalism. She (at least, this is what i found in my research via the internet) later came to THAT conclusion in her later years. But one can take internet research with a grain of salt and be wise in so doing.
But thanks you all!!! Right now....I get my fellowship here. I know I know....the favorite scripture of pastor's today to keep folks coming to the local church is: "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together as is the manner of some".
Of all the prayers I pray, the one that seems to keep getting unanswered is: "Oh God, please help me to find a local fellowship of true Bible believing, Christ followers."
  • Lori Smith likes this