• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

In recent years it started, I suppose, with music - "We want it contemporary. No we want it traditional!". I am not sure if either one is more "correct",

I would like to make a confession.
I attended an Alliance Church for 14 years and then our Pastor was invited to candidate at another Alliance Church and became their Pastor. The Alliance Church I attended went through the search process and finally got a new Pastor on board. When this new Pastor, whom I love dearly arrived, things began to gradually change, and initially it wasn't a problem for me. Then the worship music became more and more contemporary and it gradually got louder. I didn't complain about it because it was reaching out and bringing in younger families. Then I noticed, that I would go to Church, and afterwards leave feeling as though I was prevented from personally worshipping Christ Jesus. What had happened? The problem was that the loud contemporary music combined with a several songs with 7/11 lyrics hindered my own personal worship of my Lord and Savior. I would come home from Church feeling empty and as if I had all this unspent worship still residing in me. So rather than complain I left and found another Alliance Church down the road in which I was now able to be allowed to give my worship once again. My joy and thanksgiving to God then returned, and I realized that God was leading me to this other Church. I guess if there is a moral to this story, it would be, Go where God leads you. Don't stay somewhere if you ever get to the point where you can't worship, or if you get the point where you feel like complaining. Before you complain, go else where and experience new found joy. But don't be a complainer.
  • Tkulp likes this

#22 Tkulp

Tkulp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Studying the Word as the Spirit directs.
    Sharing what I learn about the Truth of the Word of God.
    Aquaponics / rooting plant starts / Living on God's provisions
    Learning about wild edibles, Herbs and God's natural provisions for life, both physical and spiritual.
    Raising cattle
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Coop Prairie

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

Kenny,

I thank you for your confession!

When I was young with a family, I also would leave a church when I saw that it was pointing my children toward the world or, as I became involved in the ministry of the church, if I found that the relationship with the pastor and myself was becoming anything less than in harmony.

That has changed in the last 12 years. I was lead to a church that was a breath of fresh air. What I could not understand was why families kept disappearing and not returning.

One Wed. night Satan got control and the Pastor walked out. Words can not express my confusion and the hurt that I saw in the lives of so many that had come to the Lord at that church. I could not run and I could not be their pastor.

One of the families that had left came back and the man became our Pastor. He is a true disciple of Jesus Christ, walking in obedience to the Holy Spirit; leading by his example of following Jesus. I have witnessed this church go down to a handful and start to grow, this time on a different foundation. Death to self being in control of our lives, to the Holy Spirit having control and Jesus Christ being the only example for each of our lives.

We all read things differently according to the influences in our lives. I hope that as this thread is revived the Truth that it contains from a number of different participants will be restored in the minds of many lives. Christ "in" us, is the only hope of glory! Being a True Disciple of Jesus Christ, taking up our cross and following Him, is the only way to an abundant life now and eternal life hereafter.

This is from Jesus' prayer in John 17. The Net Bible version follows with a quote from their study notes. John 17:3 "Now this is eternal life — that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ,  whom you sent."

Study Note: "...For John this knowledge is not intellectual, but relational. It involves being in relationship."

I hope that you are still around, Kenny!

#23 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

Am I understanding this correctly?  Are we changing our churches to be "seeker-friendly" churches to get fannies in the seats?  If that is what is going on watch those fannies get bored and leave.

We are to make disciples God's way.  Matthew 28:19-20 is one commission.  Acts 1 & 2 also instruct us as well.

We should get away from the "Burger King theology" in making disciples.  Let's teach the word of God and the apostles' doctrine.

With that, I zip my lip.  Les Tripp you're a disciple maker.

#24 kiryk

kiryk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • I am a Missionary

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for the notes, I started a church in central California, my messages were well received, but God spoke to my heart and showed me that people were not growing, my discipleship was not very good. I got carried away by the approval of the people and neglected to delve into the Word.