• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

A recent blogger in MyCMA asked what the Church should do with Halloween. Here's what one Alliance church has decided to do:

http://www.cmallianc...alloween-night/

Does your church offer an alternative to Halloween? Tell us about it!

#2 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Born-again Christian since 4/17/2000. Retired MD neurologist (Laurie Barclay), medical writer. Theatrical ballroom dancer, performer & owner of Rhapsody Ballroom, Tampa, with husband Richard. Adult Bible study teacher. Singer/Christian songwriter.
  • I am a Layperson

• Fellowship Baptist Church

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

A recent blogger in MyCMA asked what the Church should do with Halloween. Here's what one Alliance church has decided to do:

http://www.cmallianc...alloween-night/

Does your church offer an alternative to Halloween? Tell us about it!

One year we had a Parade of Nations to inform children of customs and native dress in lands where missionaries serve. This was educational, fun, and a good opportunity to explain the Great Commission and to explore the lives of missionaries. Another year, when Oct. 31 fell on a Sunday, we stood by our cars in the parking lot after the evening service, and the children dressed in costume and went from car to car.

Even passing out candy and “Jesus Loves You” stickers or tracts in your neighborhood may be a good ministry and witness opportunity.

Some Lutheran churches celebrate Reformation Day, and some churches have a "Judgment House" to warn about hell, ending with a salvation message.

My blog post this week is entitled "What to Wear for Halloween":
http://savedbygraceb...-halloween.html

Laurie Collett, Saved by Grace
http://savedbygraceb...y.blogspot.com/

#3 Wade McGarvey

Wade McGarvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, hanging out with Church buddies, talking religion and politics, checking news and current events.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • North Ridge Alliance, Raleigh NC

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

Heck I think all Protestant Churches should celebrate Reformation Sunday. My father is an Alliance Pastor and he at least makes a point of telling the brief history of Martin Luther and then give an overview of the European Reformation and Reformers!.... Oh and then we sing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God". The Church is the Bride of Christ and as such it is the Central Institution of Human History. Yeah soooo thanks to the reformers at we don't have to go to Mass on All Saints day... wait I dont think many Catholics do anyway.
Also I dont think Christians should be weird about Holloween (All Hollows Eve). We can refrain from the dark aspects without getting weird, and legalistic like the General Assembly of Regular Baptists.

#4 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Born-again Christian since 4/17/2000. Retired MD neurologist (Laurie Barclay), medical writer. Theatrical ballroom dancer, performer & owner of Rhapsody Ballroom, Tampa, with husband Richard. Adult Bible study teacher. Singer/Christian songwriter.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

Heck I think all Protestant Churches should celebrate Reformation Sunday. My father is an Alliance Pastor and he at least makes a point of telling the brief history of Martin Luther and then give an overview of the European Reformation and Reformers!.... Oh and then we sing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God". The Church is the Bride of Christ and as such it is the Central Institution of Human History. Yeah soooo thanks to the reformers at we don't have to go to Mass on All Saints day... wait I dont think many Catholics do anyway.

We owe a lot to Martin Luther, notably having Bibles in our own languages, not to mention the wonderful, doctrinally sound and spiritually uplifting hymns he wrote.

#5 Robert Fugate

Robert Fugate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • I am a Missionary

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Project SouthPointe

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

We owe a lot to Martin Luther, notably having Bibles in our own languages, not to mention the wonderful, doctrinally sound and spiritually uplifting hymns he wrote.

I could not agree more, a man of great vision and valor who sought to live out his faith in obedience to the scriptures.
Chile is the first Latin American nation to have asmall plaza and statue named after Martin Luther, a few years ago the President in response to a commission on evangelical religious freedom in Chile and a new law promoting freedom of expression for all faiths, declared reformation day, Oct. 31 a national holiday! It is much easier to talk about Martin Luther when he is now associated with a day off from work andthe evangelical church now is recognized by the government in such a public fashion. The government recognizes the vital impact of thereformation on Chilean culture and its importance to many Chilean citizens.

Bringing Hope Transforming Lives 

Robert Fugate  - Pastor SouthPointe Project
Christian and Missionary Alliance - Mexico Field
fugate@cmamexico.net

#6 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

I could not agree more, a man of great vision and valor who sought to live out his faith in obedience to the scriptures.
Chile is the first Latin American nation to have asmall plaza and statue named after Martin Luther, a few years ago the President in response to a commission on evangelical religious freedom in Chile and a new law promoting freedom of expression for all faiths, declared reformation day, Oct. 31 a national holiday! It is much easier to talk about Martin Luther when he is now associated with a day off from work andthe evangelical church now is recognized by the government in such a public fashion. The government recognizes the vital impact of thereformation on Chilean culture and its importance to many Chilean citizens.

Praise God for this testimony, that God has provided this witness opportunity through Martin Luther day! I will pray that God will use you to reach souls through this holiday and in many other ways.