2011 General Council

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Hello all! Council planning is upon us and we are looking to engage you in conversations about Council--those that have taken place, the one we see in our present, and future thoughts. Let's use this location to discuss and grow together when it comes to the topic of Council.

#2 Tina Shaff

Tina Shaff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:My Great Pyrenees dogs, Scottish Highland cattle, friends, family, reading, writing poetry.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

So as a bit of a 'newbie' - what is "council"? Who goes? what is it supposed to be about? Details please.
Tina - ysiC

#3 Denes House

Denes House

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:I am married to the beauteous Karina, and have two excellent children, Timothy and Evelyn. I love science fiction, kayaking, fantasy, philosophy, theology, politics, movies, illustration, and computer graphics.
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Trinity Alliance Church

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

So as a bit of a 'newbie' - what is "council"? Who goes? what is it supposed to be about? Details please.

The Christian & Missionary Alliance's chief governing body is the General Council, and every Alliance church and entity is allowed (by our Constitution) to send a certain number of delegates to Council. There are voting delegates and nonvoting delegates. The delegates at Council discuss and vote on legislation - including by-law and Constitutional changes, budget, nominations, vision, and strategy for the denomination. In between Councils, leadership of the denomination is delegated to officers elected at Council. The Council happens every two years.

It's a lot of fun! There's business, as well as worship and Bible teaching. You get to see the breadth of the Alliance's ministries nationally, as well as be connected to our ministries around the world. There's a strong emphasis on the Alliance's mission work through the Great Commission Fund, and you get to meet many of our International Workers and get to know them. There are seminars, and a resource fair. It's an awesome time. I wish more Alliance churches would send delegates.

Council 2011 will be in Kansas City, MO May 25-29. :)
For those who are wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove..."

Visit my weblog, online art gallery, and church's website!

#4 Robert Sanford

Robert Sanford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• North Springs Alliance

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

First, let me say how impressed I was with the summary of General Council. I must admit that I was involved with COuncil for many years. And, I agree with you that the gathering of THe Body together on a national scale is a powerful opportunity.

But, what I had to say was how hard I laughed at your footer explaining how to pronounce your name.

Have a great day.

#5 Denes House

Denes House

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:I am married to the beauteous Karina, and have two excellent children, Timothy and Evelyn. I love science fiction, kayaking, fantasy, philosophy, theology, politics, movies, illustration, and computer graphics.
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:08 AM

:) Thanks, Robert! I find it funny, as well. It's actually derived from a Monty Python sketch, where the man was named "Raymond Luxury Yacht," but it was pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove." I laugh even now, thinking of it. :D
For those who are wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove..."

#6 Brandon Nutter

Brandon Nutter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• First Alliance New Castle

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

when will we find out about any significant discussions that will happen at the business meetings?

#7 Robert Sanford

Robert Sanford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• North Springs Alliance

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

This is a good news, bad news kind of thing.

The good news is that the reports to General Council will be available online 30 days prior to the event. This report will include reports from the President, Corporate Secretary, and Vice Presidents.

The business agenda is determined by Council based on what the Council Committees bring forward in their reports. So there is no agenda for the business sessions prior to Council.

#8 Bruce Jackson

Bruce Jackson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Would enjoy meeting with those who are interested in or ministry focus is urban ministry....if so let's meet on Saturday morning....

#9 Jeff Boutwell

Jeff Boutwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • I am a National Office Worker

• North Springs

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

This will be my first Council. So I'm excited to see all of the excitement first-hand.

#10 Ruthie Hankins

Ruthie Hankins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

• HarvestDowntown

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

As a former missionary and now a National Office worker, General Council is the time for me to reconnect with people I haven't seen in a while and to finally meet people whom I only know from emails or phone calls. For me is like a family reunion and summer camp rolled into one. I can't wait! :lol:

#11 NReckling

NReckling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

This is a good news, bad news kind of thing.

The good news is that the reports to General Council will be available online 30 days prior to the event. This report will include reports from the President, Corporate Secretary, and Vice Presidents.

The business agenda is determined by Council based on what the Council Committees bring forward in their reports. So there is no agenda for the business sessions prior to Council.

Hey Bob--are the reports posted now? Can you give a link?

#12 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hey Bob--are the reports posted now? Can you give a link?

The President's Report to General Council has been published for download. You can find it at http://www.cmallianc...s/publications/ in the MyCMA+ Publications box . Please note that you must have a MyCMA+ account in order to download the document.  

#13 Wade McGarvey

Wade McGarvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, hanging out with Church buddies, talking religion and politics, checking news and current events.
  • I am a Layperson

• North Ridge Alliance, Raleigh NC

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Dang I'm gonna miss Ravi...Sad. Man last time I was at council I was a kid, Pittsburg I think back in the late 90's or so. My folks are going. Its almost always a fun time.

#14 Ronald Hirsch

Ronald Hirsch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:family, guitar, uke, cycling, surfing, flag football and da beach.
  • I am a Pastor

• New Day Church

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

As a former missionary and now a National Office worker, General Council is the time for me to reconnect with people I haven't seen in a while and to finally meet people whom I only know from emails or phone calls. For me is like a family reunion and summer camp rolled into one. I can't wait! :lol:

#15 Tim Welty

Tim Welty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Missions, biking, photography, hiking, travel
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Hillcrest Covenant Church

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

Since moving to Kansas City, we have not been part of an Alliance church. It will be good to reconnect through Council. We welcome all of our Alliance friends to the Kansas City area.

#16 Denes House

Denes House

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Are the tornadoes that touched down in Southwestern Missouri going to impact Council?

#17 Jason Linscombe

Jason Linscombe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

• ClayHouse Alliance Church

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

Are the tornadoes that touched down in Southwestern Missouri going to impact Council?

not that we have heard of (at least directly for the event in KC) but i bet travel may get complicated. i'll post if i hear otherwise.
"The key to prayer is simply praying." -AW Tozer

#18 Elizabeth May

Elizabeth May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Ormond Beach Alliance

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Praying protection from the storms, in the name of Jesus. Rebuking tornadoes. Declaring and outpouring of God's long, wide, deep, high love. In Jesus' name.
Elizabeth May

#19 Jonathan Grames

Jonathan Grames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • I am a District Worker

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

Anyone know if videos or mp3 files of Council sessions will be available for download? If so, where and when?
Thanks.

#20 Jason Linscombe

Jason Linscombe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

• ClayHouse Alliance Church

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

Anyone know if videos or mp3 files of Council sessions will be available for download? If so, where and when?
Thanks.

we are hoping to have mp3s of the council sessions available next week. the only exception could be if there is sensitive information which needs to be edited out. it will be posted to the council event page as well as the alliance podcast.
"The key to prayer is simply praying." -AW Tozer